The Brothers of the Poor of St. Francis
|Frequently Asked Questions
• Do you live in a cloistered monastery?
No, Franciscans are not monks but are friars, going out and about doing the Lord's work. We do gather twice daily for prayer and attend daily Mass, and live fraternally in small communities of 2 or 3 members.
• What are the qualifications for a candidate for the Brotherhood?
Ideally Men who want to join our life...
* are active Roman Catholics
* believe they are being called to become a religious brother
* are at least 20's or 30's and are in good spiritual, mental, emotional and physical health
* have a college degree and some work experience that would enable them to contribute to the ministry of the Franciscan Brothers (for example, education, social services)
* be capable of living a chaste, obedient and simple life with other religious men and have good people-skills
• How are you involved in the Church?
Most of the Brothers are educators or catechists. Other Brothers work with the elderly, serve as parish ministers or do youth work. Most of us -- even our elderly Brothers -- actively volunteer to assist the poor and those in need.
• Are your Brothers priests?
Our Brothers are men called to live the religious life as vowed Brothers. In the USA Community, the Brothers are not permitted to pursue the diaconate or priesthood.
• Do the Brothers attend a seminary for training?
A seminary is for those called to Holy Orders. Instead, our Brotherhood conducts its own school called a Novitiate which is a program of formation lasting two to three years. Its goal is faith and spiritual formation in the Franciscan tradition.
• Franciscan Brothers 150th Anniversary
The foundation of the Congregation of the Brothers of the Poor of St. Francis by Brother John Hoever on Christmas Eve, 1857.
St. Francis, Saint of Our Times
History of the Franciscan Brothers
• Bro. John Hoever, Our Founder
Franciscan Order, the Congregation of the Brothers of the Poor of St. Francis
Frequently Asked Questions
Newsletters Available Upon Request
• What it means to be a Catholic Brother of the Poor of St. Francis of Assisi
Who are the Brothers of
the Poor of St. Francis?
What do we do?
What does it mean to be
Produced under the auspices of the Franciscan Brothers
(513) 924 - 0111
Site Design/Maintenance by Slaughter & Slaughter, Inc.
|Catholic Brotherhood -- Franciscan Brothers|